Isomerized Kettle Extract (IKE) contains primarily isomerized alpha acids, beta acids, and hop oils. IKE is produced from generic or variety specific CO2 extract and can also be used for a late hop addition at the end of wort boiling.
- Higher utilization than CO2 Hop Extract
Usage & Methods
- Warm extract to liquify and pour into kettle
- Remove can lid and place inside brewhouse hop dosing vessel
- Smallest can holds 500 gram of extract, at 40-60% IAA in the extract means 0.5-kg can holds 200 – 300 grams of IAA.
- IKE can be added early in the boil for bitterness, with expected utilization of iso-alpha acids of 40-60%. Long boil times will result in volatilization of most of the aromatic compounds
- Late boil additions will preserve more of the aromatic oils that contribute to late kettle hop flavor and aroma while still obtaining iso-alpha acid utilization yields of 40-60
Notes & Recommendations
- It is best to add extract no earlier than 10 minutes after the beginning of the boil so that hop acids are not entrained in the coagulating wort proteins, reducing efficiency.
- To maximize hop aroma it is best to add no later than 10 minutes before the end of boil to assure complete mixing and to avoid having an “oil slick” of extract floating on top of the wort.
- Utilization of iso-alpha acids will vary depending on brewing equipment and original gravity and wort pH.
- Brewers who are operating at high altitudes where the temperature of the boils is significantly below 212°F (100°C) may find better utilization by using PIKE (Potassium-Based Isomerized Kettle Extract).
- If splitting into partial container(s), the extract should be warmed to above 120°F (50°C) to liquify and the container should be thoroughly stirred to homogenize.
Package & Storage
- Note that all elements of the can, including inks, are food safe
- Packaging is in metal cans and can be filled based on customer requirements for grams of iso-alpha acids.
- IKE stored in sealed unopened containers at temperatures <50°F(10°C) is best used within 2 years from the date of packaging Open containers should be covered, kept as cold as possible and used within two weeks.
|Bitterness||Aroma / Flavor||Foam||Anti - microbial||Light Stability||Kettle||Cold Block|
|Isomerized Kettle Extract (IKE)|
|(Potassium) Isomerized Kettle Extract (PIKE)|
|Light Stable Kettle Extract (LSKE)|
|Alpha Extract 20%|
|Rho Iso-Extract 30%|
|Tetra Iso-Extract 10%|
|Hexa Iso-Extract 10%|
|Beta Bio 45%|